2018 Proven Winner Annual Varieties
This year, Nunan’s will be featuring a number of new Proven Winner-brand annuals, grown right here in our numerous growing houses. View the gallery below to see the stunning new varieties that will surely add flair to your containers and landscape.
- Superbells™ Blue Moon Punch Calibrachoa – This new variety from Proven Winners features light purple flowers with a deep purple eye and vibrant yellow center. It is a heat-tolerant mounding trailing annual that needs no deadheading. Calibrachoa do best in containers rather than the ground, but they can tolerate a raised bed with good drainage. Plant in a hanging basket or in a doorstep container for a bright, fun burst of color for the summer months.
- Hippo™ Rose Hypoestes ‘Polka Dot Plant’ – Wow! We are blown away by this stunning sun-or-shade annual. It has an upright habit and will do well in a container or in the landscape. It’s also adaptable as a houseplant because of its lack of fussiness.
- Luscious® Royale Cosmo Lantana – Hello gorgeous! This vibrant lantana reminds us of a tropical vacation. Royale Cosmo attracts hummingbirds, butterflies, and birds to your garden and works well in the ground or a container. Deadheading is not needed with this annual to keep it blooming. Lantana is a go-to choice for heat tolerance and it can take neglect like a champ.
- Intensia® Red Hot Phlox – This annual is on fire! Red Hot is a long-blooming plant that boasts intense, bright-red flowers on drought-tolerant foliage. Sure to wow in the summer, Intensia Red Hot will attract butterflies to your garden. It works well as a border plant, a filler in a container, or in the landscape because of its tolerance of average soil. It’s a self-cleaning plant, so deadheading is not necessary. (Note that this is not necessarily true for all phlox.)
- Superbena® Stormburst Verbena – If soft pastels are more your speed, consider this pretty lavender and white annual. Like many of the annuals on this list, Superbena Stormburst is drought tolerant and will take part sun to sun exposure. It does well in both containers and the landscape. If planting in beds, it’s best planted at the front due to its trailing habit.
- Supertunia® Lovie Dovie Petunia – These pink and white petunias are a perfect summer annual. With a mounding trailing habit, they perform well as a spiller or filler in containers or as border plants in the garden.
- Golden Butterfly™ Marguerite Daisy Argyranthemum – This annual is the golden yellow version of the Butterfly Marguerite daisy. Reaching about 36″ tall, the Golden Butterfly daisy makes for an eye-catching annual in container gardens or in the landscape. Heat tolerant, the Marguerite daisy also works as a fall interest bloomer.
- Superbells® Double Ruby Calibrachoa – This low-maintenance annual is overflowing with pretty bloomers. Ruby-red double flowers on trailing green foliage will work wonders in your containers. When watering, allow the top of the soil to dry before watering again. Calibrachoa can be prone to root rot problems if watered too often.
- Primo™ Wild Rose Heuchera – Guests will do a double-take when they see this stunning deep purple heuchera accented with dark charcoal veining and upright burgundy stems dotted with rosy pink flowers. Heuchera works just as well in containers as it does in the landscape. It’s deer resistant and will thrive in an area that receives partial shade during the day.